Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 3D Vehicle Models!
PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug 2016, 18:19 
Geneshift Creator

Player models are done and now it's time to do vehicles. There is a bit of work to do here, but shouldn't take as long as the players as there are no animations to worry about, and far fewer models required. These are going to look sick once finished, as the dynamic specular lighting is going to make them shimmer and shine as they drive around the map. Gunna be sooooo shift!

There are a few small gameplay changes required though. The main one is to do with vehicle heights. Currently the flat 2D sprites are only drawn at 1.25m tall, which is very short for a car (especially the Flatbed). This is going to look silly in 3D, so I need to make the vehicles taller to scale up with the new 3D player heights. About 2m tall for most vehicles. This means 2 gameplay changes are needed:

1) Vehicles will be taller. Currently they're 1.25m and I'll be making them 2m so they actually look good in 3D. However I don't want you to be able to suddenly jump off of vehicles an extra 0.75m as that would break many maps. So to compensate I will have a separate jump force when you jump off a vehicle. Jumping off the ground jumps you 2.25m in the air, and jumping off vehicles will jump you 1.5m, which when added to the new 2m height will work out to the same height as before. So really no gameplay change here at all! Just a tweak in how the jumping works.

2) Vehicles will have variable heights. This means when you stand on the back of the flatbed you're about 1.5m high, but when you jump up onto the cab section you're ~3m high. I'm going to try and make most vehicles fairly flat with a maximum height of 2m as mentioned above, but I think the Flatbed can be an exception here. Basically this means that if you want to jump over a wall with a vehicle you'll want to run to the highest point of the vehicle to get the most height. Doesn't change that much, but for example with the Buggie you might be better off reversing the high back up against a wall instead of going in head-first, as the bonnet will be lower.

Anyway here's a screenshot of a fully 3D player shooting at a demo Buggie.

EDIT: And I'm done! Here are all 11 vehicles in 3D glory!

Post subject: Re: 3D Vehicle Models!
PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2016, 07:45 
the one and only

Will this affect "vehicle explosion driven" jumps?

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2016, 13:58 
Geneshift Creator

Hmm, like when you stand on a loafer and bazooka it? I don' think it'll make a difference to that, though it's certainly something I want to maintain, so I'll check it.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug 2016, 23:34 
Geneshift Creator

Let's play a game of guess the car!

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2016, 00:26 
Gobbling Turkey

The 3 images suggest Loafer. The model front suggests Buggie, though I'm unsure with the wheel placement. Could also be Pickup, but I always imagine pickup being more blocky.

EDIT; didn't realize that was the back. Derp. Definitely loafer then.

I do have a life. I'm just trying really hard to not have one.

Last edited by Asterparity on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2016, 00:47 
Walking Encyclopedia

The 3 reference images are for a 4-seated sedan; that'd be Loafer.

That seems to be the back of the car, and given that it is shaped that way... its either Gallant or Loafer, but I'll bet on Loafer.

I always imagined the Buggie to be a Mini-Cooper.

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2016, 22:16 
Geneshift Creator

Yup it's the Loafer. Not 100% done yet but getting close!

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2016, 04:16 
Gobbling Turkey

That looks great! The details, and how well it fits with the terrain... It seems... Small, compared to the standing mutant though. Then again, any vehicle seems silly as soon as you get Bloody Gains.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2016, 07:48 
the one and only

Sexy!

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2016, 17:51 
Geneshift Creator

Ok Loafer is done!! The only thing left to do is the vehicle decal, but I don't think people like the bullet hole decals so I'll do this when I get a better idea.

I've added a bunch of cool new stuff, such as glowing headlights, glowing red brakelights when you hold reverse, and even spinning wheels! Here's a few piccies:

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2016, 18:35 
Walking Encyclopedia

Just noticed that not having skillpoints makes the player use non-mutant arms. I wonder if it should stay that way or stick to mutant arms regardless for players (because with the platinum shoulders it looks weird without mutant arms).

I like the damaged empty loafer's texture! It should be the default imo, makes the cars look more rugged and less plain.

I noticed that the lighting looks blockish on the northeast in 2nd pic (more accurately, just outside the vehicle's left windows, in a diagonal staircase line, all the way to the boxes).

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2016, 19:29 
Gobbling Turkey

Nah, I think clean suits the Loafer better. After all, for $500 off the assembly line, and almost always is destroyed as soon as it's fired upon. Odds of ever finding a used Loafer for sale in this universe is like a 1% chance. Mhm. That'd be funny. "Used Loafer. Pay $300 for a normal Loafer that spawns with 100hp."

I prefer the normal arms with no mutations. Gangster Camoflauge :lol:

Now bence, I expect the other cars to be sexy as well. We can't have a cheap mass production loafer be the prettiest as well!

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2016, 21:33 
Geneshift Creator

I reckon I'll add just a little bit of stratches to the default loafer, but not too much. So half-way. There still needs to be a visual difference between healthy and damaged for gameplay reasons. And as for mutant arms I reckon I'll leave it as is, where the arms go veiny only once you get your first skill. I think it helps newbies notice the difference between themselves and others more and be made more aware that they need to unlock skills. And also it's a fun change to have some construction workers running around the map :p

Working on the buggie now, taking STM's suggestion of a mini cooper!

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 19:40 
Geneshift Creator

Beep beep!!

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep 2016, 22:37 
Geneshift Creator

Ok so done some more thinking about vehicle heights and I think some vehicles will need to be over 2.25m tall just to look good, which means they won't be jumpable. This is going to be a gameplay change but I think honestly a really fun one. Probably the only vehicles that will be over this height are the Camper, the Flat Bed (front section), and maybe the back of the Hornet. This could have some really cool gameplay implcations as you can use these vehicles as a far more effective barricade.

Imagine parking a Camper in a 3 tile wide corridor so people can't get around it. They can no longer jump over it so the only way to get through is to enter the vehicle and drive it out of the way (or destroy it). If you start backing up other vehicles behind it this could realy slow your enemy down. For example defending a flag like in the picture below. Before players could just jump over any vehicle. Now if it's a camper or a FlatBed they can't. Interesting tactics!

What could be even cooler is if I decide to model the Camper with a little nose on the front, so you can hop onto that to get over it going in one direction, but not if you're approaching from behind:

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 03:56 
Walking Encyclopedia

Buggie looks a bit like a long 4-seater in that screenshot. Also, do you think you should be able to see guns pop out of a window?

The vehicle heights idea is interesting, but my main concern is that you can just plant a tall car directly over an objective to render it hidden & inaccessible (maybe even camp inside the car after that). Its already bad enough as it is that attempting to walk on top of a car causes the entire car to become your hitbox. I suppose you'll have to ram your own car against the barricade so as to push it away or use it as a stepladder, and hope the enemy doesn't have so much cash that he can keep this up easily without compromising his ability to attack. (also, free campers!)

Other quirks:
* If the car is protruding out of a cliff, you can jump from the bottom and end up appearing at the top of the car.
* If you ram an enemy, you'll actually push the enemy to the top of the car. That said, I wonder if the taller height would make it such that you cannot jump over a car attempting to ram you.
* You always exit a car from the sides. If there is not enough room, you'll exit on top of the car; you don't have to drive it out of the way though it might hinder you if you are carrying say, a flag.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 16:11 
Crimea is ours!

bencelot wrote:
Thoughts?

Yes, do it.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 18:03 
Geneshift Creator

STM1993 wrote:
Buggie looks a bit like a long 4-seater in that screenshot. Also, do you think you should be able to see guns pop out of a window?

The vehicle heights idea is interesting, but my main concern is that you can just plant a tall car directly over an objective to render it hidden & inaccessible (maybe even camp inside the car after that). Its already bad enough as it is that attempting to walk on top of a car causes the entire car to become your hitbox. I suppose you'll have to ram your own car against the barricade so as to push it away or use it as a stepladder, and hope the enemy doesn't have so much cash that he can keep this up easily without compromising his ability to attack. (also, free campers!)

Other quirks:
* If the car is protruding out of a cliff, you can jump from the bottom and end up appearing at the top of the car.
* If you ram an enemy, you'll actually push the enemy to the top of the car. That said, I wonder if the taller height would make it such that you cannot jump over a car attempting to ram you.
* You always exit a car from the sides. If there is not enough room, you'll exit on top of the car; you don't have to drive it out of the way though it might hinder you if you are carrying say, a flag.

Good point, I have made the Buggie a 4 seater! To keep Gallant competitive I have increased it's max speed and acceleration and it's collision armor. As for seeing guns out of windows that'd be awesome, but I won't do it just yet as it'd require making more models... also having something like a massive minigun sticking out the window could be weird.

The objective exploit is a good consideration too. The arrow will point to it so it won't be hidden at least, but I need to make sure the pickup range is large enough that you can never fully cover it with a vehicle.

As for the taller height when ramming players, I'll see how it works in the code but it might be interesting to have it unjumpable. Considering how slow the Camper and Flat Bed move you're a bit of a noob for getting hit by one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 21:55 
Gobbling Turkey

I imagine... It's 4/5 on Conquest, the scientists need to take only one more point to win. While doing so, the most outrageous thing happens. A tidal wave of Campers comes out and not only pushes the capturer off the point, but creates a barricade filled with MG's.

I think only 3 things are possible from this anomaly ramming people.
A; They're launched into the air, which would be easy exploits for jumping.
B; They're thrown under the car and either killed instantly or could be hidden underneath, still taking vehicle hitbox.
or C; They're dragged with the car acting as a sort of wall.

However, since Camper's front is shorter, it'd probably have a rolling effect and either collide twice with the player or knock them to the top without A;'s problem. And Flatbed is so slow it'd probably just drag them along. That said, ramming damage could potentially be a problem if it occurs as the player is dragged infront.

Aside from that speculation, sounds like fun!

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep 2016, 19:06 
Geneshift Creator

My car collection is growing!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next