Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Making Music!
PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2015, 03:55 
Geneshift Creator

It's time to make some awesome music for the campaign!

You may remember that I attempted to make music a few months ago using a free program called Caustic. However I found it too crappy and gave up pretty quickly. I then found some random music on the internet and have been using that for the menu music ever since. However I don't really like that song and will never be truly satisfied unless I make the music myself. Therefore I have purchased an actual professional music editor called Renoise and am loving it so far. It's a lot more powerful than Caustic and there are some great tutorials for it.

I've learned quite a bit so far and will probably be spending the next week or two learning how to make music and then creating some new menu music and a few tracks for the campaign. Should be GROOOVY! Anyway here's a lil' somthing I created today. Lemme know what you think about the start bit (the end bit is just copying the melody from the Dark Knight for the lulz).

Attachment:
attempt01.ogg [460.99 KiB]
Downloaded 55 times

Post subject: Re: Making Music!
PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2015, 04:33 
Slippery Fish

bencelot wrote:
It's time to make some awesome music for the campaign!

You may remember that I attempted to make music a few months ago using a free program called Caustic. However I found it too crappy and gave up pretty quickly. I then found some random music on the internet and have been using that for the menu music ever since. However I don't really like that song and will never be truly satisfied unless I make the music myself. Therefore I have purchased an actual professional music editor called Renoise and am loving it so far. It's a lot more powerful than Caustic and there are some great tutorials for it.

I've learned quite a bit so far and will probably be spending the next week or two learning how to make music and then creating some new menu music and a few tracks for the campaign. Should be GROOOVY! Anyway here's a lil' somthing I created today. Lemme know what you think about the start bit (the end bit is just copying the melody from the Dark Knight for the lulz).

Attachment:
attempt01.ogg

I disliked the drums that came in, they popped out too much compared to the rest of the subtle noises and bass..

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2015, 08:53 
Walking Encyclopedia

Agreed with Qwerty, don't like the drums of attempt1.ogg, they seem to come in too strongly and too high-pitched.

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2015, 16:39 
Geneshift Creator

Yup, I can see that. Thanks dudes :) Was mostly messing around and learning stuff yesterday, I'm gunna try make something a bit better today. I need to work out what music I'm actually trying to make first. I think I need:

1) Tralier music. 90s or so, builds up in intensity and awesomeness. High action.

2) Menu music. 120s? Needs to be loopable, more consistent and chill/ambient I think. None of this drum & bass stuff like the current tune.

3) Campaign music. There will have to be a few clips here that I can easily piece together in the campaign. Probably going to want a slower more ambient piece (like for the beginning section of Lab), and then super fast action music, and then maybe a "boss" music. Maybe even something that plays when you start fighting the zombies..

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2015, 00:23 
Geneshift Creator

MORE FEEDBACK PLOX ON NEW MENU MUSIC!

Attachment:
menuMusic01.ogg [1.75 MiB]
Downloaded 63 times

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2015, 05:00 
Gobbling Turkey

The new menu music... Too quiet in the beginning and end, possible 'too much bass' or bass accessories. Overall I find it orderly, mellow, and 'sick'. It almost sounds like a funeral procession. I like it.

I do have a life. I'm just trying really hard to not have one.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2015, 18:27 
Mercenary

bencelot wrote:
MORE FEEDBACK PLOX ON NEW MENU MUSIC!

Attachment:
menuMusic01.ogg

In my opinion the whole thing sounds like it's made for a dark cartoonish fantasy world. I think you should try to make it more... sharp? Do I sound like a wine taster now? :P

Also the loop is short and easy to spot and got repetitive pretty quickly, but that probably shouldn't be a concern as this is only the second very early version after all and it'll be best to get the general feel of the music nailed first.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec 2015, 18:46 
Geneshift Creator

Thanks for the feedback dudes, will improve and sexify!

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2015, 06:25 
Geneshift Creator

Round 2. FIGHT!

Attachments:
menuMusic01.ogg [1.76 MiB]
Downloaded 44 times

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2015, 13:24 
Gobbling Turkey

bencelot wrote:
Round 2. FIGHT!

Imo round 1 wins simply because the instruments play better with each other. I just don't quite like this new tone/instrument 'booping' even if it is pitch perfect. The old one sounded creepier. Ah, but I suppose this isn't (supposed to be) a zombie horror game...

The loop sounds almost identical in rhythm, but I like the 'clapping' instrument that replaced that 'clacking' sound. Beginning and end are still on the quiet side, but it's noticeable now. At least on headphones.

I cannot put a name to an instrument for the life of me. :P Overall the loop feels more natural, I just greatly question the instruments being used.

EDIT: PS STM, I cannot unhear the tohou music when playing MF...

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2015, 18:00 
Geneshift Creator

Yah Im not sure what to do with the main instrument.. maybe an electric guitar would be cool.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2015, 19:46 
Geneshift Creator

Version three with super swish electric guiiiiiitar! I agree that the 2nd version sounded too "clean" and "boopish". Guitar has a lot more character and fits the theme of a dirty, dark, grungy post-apocolyptic world. Also has more of an "actiony" feel than the very first track which Olaroll rightly pointed out sounded like a fantasy cartoon.

Also chucked a few new notes in there and made the start and finish louder based on Aster's suggestion. Pretty happy with it now :D

Attachment:
menuMusic01.ogg [1.78 MiB]
Downloaded 45 times

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2015, 21:02 
Gobbling Turkey

bencelot wrote:
Version three with super swish electric guiiiiiitar! I agree that the 2nd version sounded too "clean" and "boopish". Guitar has a lot more character and fits the theme of a dirty, dark, grungy post-apocolyptic world. Also has more of an "actiony" feel than the very first track which Olaroll rightly pointed out sounded like a fantasy cartoon.

Also chucked a few new notes in there and made the start and finish louder based on Aster's suggestion. Pretty happy with it now :D

Attachment:
menuMusic01.ogg

Awesome. It rolls pretty nicely. Now I have one critique left. The electric guitar pitch seems to rise in every stroke, perhaps lower the pitch of it to compensate, or volume? Feels like it's overshadowing everything else in the music, until about 1:48 and it becomes all climatic. I suggest this be the theme song of 'Cybernetic' mutants. ;)

I feel bad that you're adjusting the music for just my opinion.. Whar's everyone else.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec 2015, 23:03 
Geneshift Creator

Glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback! Don't feel bad critiquing, it's just the same as anything else I make, balance, maps, graphics whatever.. the more feedback the better :)

I'm gunna tweak the volume levels a bit to make it super sexy. Now time to make some sweet campaign music!

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2015, 02:29 
Geneshift Creator

Ok I think this is the final version. Got the volume levels all sorted out now, made the whole thing louder and more "full". Check it!

Attachments:
menuMusic01.ogg [1.77 MiB]
Downloaded 50 times

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2015, 21:41 
Mercenary

bencelot wrote:
Ok I think this is the final version. Got the volume levels all sorted out now, made the whole thing louder and more "full". Check it!

Well that last one sound like a scrambled mess to me. And no I don't have a problem with the .ogg file :P

I think you should try to take a step back and simplify the music a bit. The music layering could also use some work. Also experiment more with instruments :D

OR you could just commission the music from a professional. It'll (probably) be worth it. >_>

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 04:23 
Geneshift Creator

Thanks for the feedback man. I took another look (this time using headphones) and agree there was too much going on. Too much bass especially. So I've toned this bass a lot, removed a couple instruments, removed some distortion on the lead guitar and made a few other volume adjustments. Made the looping better too. Cheers :D

Attachment:
menuMusic01.ogg [1.79 MiB]
Downloaded 46 times

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 12:02 
Mercenary

bencelot wrote:
Thanks for the feedback man. I took another look (this time using headphones) and agree there was too much going on. Too much bass especially. So I've toned this bass a lot, removed a couple instruments, removed some distortion on the lead guitar and made a few other volume adjustments. Made the looping better too. Cheers :D

Attachment:
menuMusic01.ogg

That was actually pretty decent. :) Not something I would listen to on my free time but I wouldn't turn off the menu music because of it either. It can definitely be improved but this time I don't know exactly what to point out.

Maybe it would be better to make some more music for the game? So you could learn more about music production and later apply that to your menu music. Kinda like in game developing where it's faster to learn by making a bunch of small games rather than perfecting a large one.

Also the menu music is really part of the first impression of the game so try not to half-ass it please. :P

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 16:04 
Geneshift Creator

Olaroll wrote:
Kinda like in game developing where it's faster to learn by making a bunch of small games rather than perfecting a large one.

Hah, if only... but yup I'm going to revisit the menu music after experimenting a bit more with other tracks. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2015, 22:06 
Mercenary

bencelot wrote:
Olaroll wrote:
Kinda like in game developing where it's faster to learn by making a bunch of small games rather than perfecting a large one.

Hah, if only... but yup I'm going to revisit the menu music after experimenting a bit more with other tracks. Thanks for the help!

Well at least that is what I heard from extra credits. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to games.

Anyway, good luck to you :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next