Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Survival Speedruns!!
PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb 2014, 08:16 
Geneshift Creator

Let's start a competition to see who can complete Survival Speedruns the fastest! Here are the rules:

1) Start a survival game with the correct server settings, a map of your choice, and a difficulty level of your choice.
2) Complete the round as quickly as you can, obviously surviving till the end.
3) As soon as you finish take a screenshot and post your times up here!

Required Server Settings
To make this competition fair we need to have some standard server settings. These must all be set correctly for your time to be considered valid. As of v0.92 all of this information is displayed in the scoretab so it will show up in your screenshot, allowing others to confirm you've done it correctly. The following server settings must be set:

Server Type: Quick Match
Cash Rate: 2000
Time Limit: 30
Vehicles: Checked
Cust Weapons: Unchecked

Game Mode: Outbreak
Survival: Checked
Blue Zombies: Checked
Zombie Souls: 1000
Zombies: 50

In addition to this you must choose the zombie difficulty and map you wish to attempt, for example: Standard Barn, or Insane Asylum.

Any other server settings you can change as you please, but leaving them at default is probably ideal. You might want to set the freeze time to 20s simply because it gives you time to preprare you skills, but it's not necessary.

Submitting you Screenshot
Once you set up the correct server settings start the game and rush through all the bombs as quickly as you can. If you die in Survival you obviously need to start over. Otherwise, as soon as you finish the round take a screenshot! The screenshot will confirm that you've finished with the correct server settings and it will show the round time. Here is an example of a run through I just did on Standard Barn:

Attachment:
speedrunExample.jpg
speedrunExample.jpg [ 82.26 KiB | Viewed 4369 times ]

This shows how to read the screenshots. Here you can see that I've finished Barn on Standard difficulty in 11:28 minutes with valid settings. When you submit your screenshots you don't need to photoshop the final time onto the image like I've done here, this is just an example. Simply upload your screenshot to a site like imgur and post the link and your time here! Easy! I will keep a leaderboard of the current best times for every Map/Difficulty combination.

Tips & Tricks
Here are a few tips to get you started:
1) Create a skill queue. This will save you the hassle of having to level skills mid-game. Work out the perfect combination of skills to complete the speedrun as quickly as possible and then make a queue out of it. Then when you start the round you can simply load up the queue and get started. Make sure to choose your skills wisely though as in Quick Match every skill point counts.
2) Drop souls off frequently. You only receive XP when you drop off souls and you'll want to get your skills up and running as fast as possible.
3) Conserve mana. You can kill zombies a hell of a lot faster with skills instead of weapons, but you need mana to do this. Try and save up as much mana as possible during the blue zombie phase so you can go nuts when the normal zombies come out again. Remember that blue zombies don't drop souls so don't go wasting mana on them unless you have to.
4) Drive! This is a speedrun after all and vehicles are a hell of a lot faster than walking. All that time spend walking from bomb to bomb is wasted, so make sure you get a vehicle to take you from bomb to bomb. It'll help a bunch to survive the blue zombies too.
5) Keep your hp high and keep collecting souls. This sounds obvious, but there is a secondary reason do to this and that is dynamic difficulty. Your dynamic difficulty will rise faster if you have lots of hitpoints and a fast soul collecting rate. So keep these as high as possible and you'll get to fight the squishy zombies sooner. You can kill the higher level zombies much faster than the slower ones, and this ultimately will result in getting the required 1000 souls faster.

Good luck!!

Post subject: Re: Survival Speedruns!!
PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb 2014, 08:21 
Geneshift Creator

CURRENT MAP LEADERS!!

Barn
Standard: Nightfall (10:41)

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb 2014, 08:52 
Geneshift Creator

Speedrun: Standard Barn
Time: 11:28
Proof: http://i.imgur.com/9j3N1b2.jpg

For skills I chose Microvolt as my primary DPS weapon. Barn is wide and open and it's easy to catch lots of zombies at once with Microvolt. It's also fairly mana efficient. To get the required ~25 points until I could get Microvolt working properly I put most of my skill points into Self Repair, Phasic Bullets and Shockwave. Self Repair allowed me to keep my hp at max all the time, causing the dynamic difficulty to rise as quickly as possible. Phasic Bullets increases my DPS without costing any Mana, and Shockwave of course is needed for Microvolt. My primary weapon was the MP5 as the huge reload time due to Phasic made other weapons not as effective.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar 2014, 22:34 
Pro Casual

Time was 10:41 or so.

My weapon was uzi, until I could afford the MP5. I also used the Deagle occasionally. My strategy was to use FF level 1's insane damage, combined with parasite swarm, to get tons of parasites. I used Radiate until I got parasite swarm and against blues. For blues I used the corners of the map. I originally had difficulty using FF well, but decided that the best method to use it is to wait on the edge of a horde until it's in the red, shooting in with your MP5, then run in, manually bursting it. The problems are, obviously on higher difficulties too much damage taken, and exploders.

However all of these methods are rendered moot when you have teammates and no need for mana conservation. :P
Edit: http://prntscr.com/2xbaba Full image, just for further proof.

Last edited by Nightfall on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar 2014, 00:15 
Geneshift Creator

Nice man, updated the list. And yeah, this competition only applies if you're going solo. We can simply create a separate category for multiple people. So the new format for submitting your score should say:

1) how many people in the round
2) the map
3) the difficulty
4) the time

Also you should make your screenshot bigger next time as it'll include the map name and the version number shown in the top right. It's obviously Barn from the minimap but the version number would be good to have too.

How fast can you do it with Microvolt? Still believe that's the best?

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 07:56 
Walking Encyclopedia

Round was played by primarily me and Speculation. TripleDropKick kinda just dropped by at the last bomb but didn't do much.
The goal was to run through the entire game without deaths, but unfortunately Speculation died just before the 3rd bomb blew up, then he just gave up.

My build basically. I later added 1 point in DD and the rest into Stagnation.
I used Spas-12, Deagle, Flashbang.
The tactic was to just keep kiting and planting Bionic gas in the area depicted in the minimap, starting at the cross junction where the cash fountain would be and we would always run back there for all the bombs. We laid out Bionic for the whole stretch of road.

Settings:
QM Outbreak, 1500 souls, Downtown (v1.08), Insane difficulty. Time was 1 hour, we cleared around 13:45 left on the clock.

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 07:59 
Mutant

next time we are playing survival and hopefully nightfall will join us, ill record the gameplay aswell!

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 16:03 
Geneshift Creator

Nice! cool to see this revived. I like the bionic strat. Wonder if it could be improved upon.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 17:22 
Walking Encyclopedia

Well its pretty much the winning strategy, the only problem is that its very costly and since there is no actual way to earn cash in Outbreak outside of waiting for income, it is also the most time-consuming, but it is ultimately worth it. Here's the strategy in detailed steps:

Starting Up - standard for everyone:
1) The moment the game unfreezes, move! This is to get your income to start growing asap.

2) Use time before bomb activates to discuss tactics and builds. If you wait long enough, you can consider buying a Spas-12 straight up, or just save by using an M3 Super. These are the best primary weapons overall with good damage against fat zombies, pushback, mobility and ammo. Everything else including nades is lacking in damage or mobility, superweapons are too costly.

3) You must always have a Deagle and a Flashbang. Deagle is strong enough to kill the faster zombies in a few shots plus range and zombie piercing that shotguns lack and better mobility. Flashbang is a last resort to escape. USP is too weak to be of any use. Flare Gun works, but only if the zombies are aligned in a nice row and it has too few shots. I nearly died about 3 times, but saved thanks to timely flashbangs/invisibility.

4) Skills: first 10 levels - Force Fields 1, Plasma Ball 1, Self Repair 1, Invisibility 1, Vampirism 1, Bloody Gains 1, Focus 4. FF is a the most efficient starting nuke, Vamp is to access level 1 Bloody Gains for easy +40hp at the cost of slightly slower sprint; very helpful for surviving a burst of exploders and such. Plasma 1 will save your friends and kill shooters. SR 1 is mostly for use with Bionic Gas later during swarms. Invisibility is another get away that works excellent with Bionic Gas. Final Focus is merely filler to get Radiate - the most important damage skill, which I believe is optimal at level 7. Synergy into Stagnation and Assault Armor immediately on 20 levels in Phys tree for immediate benefit of slow and additional escape mechanism. Self Repair should go up to a max of 5.

5) Guns have diminished firepower, so gun-related skills like Frenzy/Phasic/Lasing are out (and toxic bullets too); don't waste points on them. Passive heals don't work, I only got 1 vamp for prereq. Parasite Swarm has complete rubbish damage and only penalizes you overall even in lower difficulties. Shockwave is rubbish without microvolt, which itself isn't too great when guns have diminished usefulness and the effect is too brief. Bullet Time is only for stolen seekers, but unnecessary; you can always dodge the shooters and you'd have trouble shooting back with BT enabled. Blade Fury will cause exploders to kill you further than they should. Dash is not a good idea when you need to avoid attention asap. Disabling Drop is mostly just for avoiding fall damage, not important. Blackhole is actually reasonable with Darkness, but skillpoints are scarce, usually its either BH or Rad, and in this case, Rad is simply better. No point getting teleport because of the channel time. Venom requires Infection to work and even then Radiate is still better and more reliable.

6) Radars. If you have the cash, invest in radars. They cover a lot of area and prevent players from getting surprised by exploders suddenly appearing around a corner.

7) During the first bomb, your goal is to get ALL the key skills for surviving the swarm - aka Radiate 7 and Self-Repair. If you can't max the skills early enough, a viable method is to set up the Bionic Gas first for healing (and permanent invisibility - helps to get rid of aggro if you wait but your teammates have to deal with the rest) and farm souls without setting the bomb off.

tl;dr:
Build for Radiate asap. Guns focus on killing superfast black zombies. Always have an escape plan (flashbang or skills like invis/AA). Radars whenever possible.

Bionic Strategy:
1) Since Bionic Gas is not shared, the goal is for everyone to save up 20k to buy a Base + Bionic Gas. Everyone should agree to place it at the same location to ensure survival during swarms.

2) Ideally, Bionic should be placed in an intersect between all the bombs other than the 1st one so that one can quickly activate the bomb and then run back safely. If too far away, saving up for a warp field or simply buying a car (ensuring that the car does not block critical zombie routes on arriving) would work.

3) During swarms, everyone should huddle in a close tight group in the agreed Bionic section - within Self-Repair distance, and activate Self-Repair. Bionic Gas + Support will more than cover the mana expenses, while massively booting the HP recovery far beyond 20hp/s since everyone's SR stacks. When zombies are within reasonable firing range, activate Force Fields so that 6s later, they blow up just nice. Focus on killing exploders first. Radiate in emergencies (don't worry about overlapping since damage stacks, but cooldown may be a minor issue). In the event of absolute impossible odds of survival, spam buy+throw Flashbang. If there are at least 2 people cooperating well like this, swarms should actually be FAR easier than the black zombies that come afterwards.

4) Bionic Gas should not be spread far across the map. You only gain like 25hp and 10mp for running across one Bionic. The idea of lining up the radius of the Bionic Gas in one straight line is to maximize the healing you get without requiring you to go one big round. If you are running away for HP, you can't sit around to heal in the first place. By arranging them in a line, you can run a whole stretch and get all the healing you need in one go. Not to mention it makes it a lot easier to defend a specific area since you have more area to work with.

That's all there is to it. Aim to kill exploders first. Kill fatties with shotgun. Deagle black zombies. Radiate when surrounded or need to attack without slowing down. Plasma to save your teammates or kill shooters. Run along stretch of Bionic Gas to heal up or stay in it while invisible to take a break/lower aggro without risk of dying. Flashbang/Assault Armor/Invisibility to escape. Group together in Bionic Gas+Self Repair during swarms. And this is the most optimal way to beat Outbreak on Insane, I honestly don't think there is much room for improvement here, only thing is that we didn't drive to get around because cars are suicidal to use in combat and parked cars often spell doom more than serve as good barricades.

Mostly the fun comes from the difficulty, but otherwise its just a tedious matter of executing this one optimal strategy for 45 minutes - that's why Outbreak is boring and is never played for more than maybe 1-2 rounds. I ultimately went for a PvP match afterwards with Qwerty and Speculation and enjoyed it far more than many other matches in memory.

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 17:54 
Geneshift Creator

Very nice. Though I think you're being a bit cocky saying that this is the one and only optimal strategy :p It sounds very effective, but I have no doubt that it can be improved upon, or completely changed and still succeed. It depends what the goal is. To guarantee survival? Or to complete the speedrun as fast as possible. If speed is the goal then maybe waiting around for Bionic isn't the best bet. Hard to say, but I look forward to all the new strats that show up when we hit Steam :)

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 20:19 
Mutant

i hope next version we can share chems atleast ;P

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun 2015, 05:53 
Gangster

STM1993 wrote:
TripleDropKick kinda just dropped by at the last bomb but didn't do much.

Sorry if i messed up your gameplay stm i wasn't expecting insane

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]