Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: [STM] DeDust2 - v1.00
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul 2015, 16:40 
Walking Encyclopedia

DeDust2 - Version 1.00
"In these troubled sands, two teams are forever locked in counter strike."
Image Image
Standard & Outbreak minimaps respectively. (lack of fog on these minimap pictures doesn't do the map justice)
Size: 120 x 112
Gamemodes: all except Checkpoint, and currently no Stealth.
Vehicles disabled.
Attachment:
File comment: version 1.00
DeDust2.sub [129.25 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

This map is my attempt to make a mostly faithful recreation of the famous de_dust2 map from Counter Strike (specifically from 1.6), and my first try at making a small non-symmetrical map. If there are any inaccuracies such as the heights or the added staircase in CT spawn, its due to changes I had to make for the sake of a topdown shooting gameplay.

Alright, I'm gonna try and attempt to remake the Counter Strike classic: de_dust2.
Originally I was working on dust 1, but uhh, Max said dust2 is more recognizable and after looking at the layout below, I think it'd also be easier to map out.
http://image.prntscr.com/image/22a010e9 ... 5f40b3.png
Original: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/csw ... 0521010415

de_dust1 layout for show:
For scale.
The terrrorist spawn area is unfinished.
Probably my first attempt to not be lazy and make a non-symmetrical map, and following Max's advice I'll try to make it not look rectangular. I'll do this slowly instead of rush it in a few days.

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

Last edited by STM1993 on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 07:46, edited 33 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - WIP
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul 2015, 17:20 
Geneshift Creator

Very cool. Remaking CS maps is so obvious really. They're already well designed with good gameplay and scale, and fun for players who recognise them. Just make sure you get the scale right. Players in MF are about 1.5m wide visually, compared to 0.5m wide in real life / CS. So you'd need to scale up to account for this. Vehicles should be able to drive along most of the routes in dust2.

Also, the scientist area of Supply was almost exactly modelled off of the CT spawn in dust2. Check it:

Here are the same routes overlaid onto the dust2 map:

Pretty cool huh! The only adjustment I had to make for MF is that there are no bridges, so you have to jump across the gap at short in MF. Still works quite nicely I think! Could use this section of supply for inspiration.

P.S. The Rebel base in Supply is modeled after the warehouse in Assault :D

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul 2015, 08:39 
Mercenary

Hope it will be seccusfuly
Btw I have idea about de_aztec

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul 2015, 17:16 
Crimea is ours!

STM1993 wrote:
Alright, I'm gonna try and attempt to remake the Counter Strike classic: de_dust2.

Originally I was working on dust 1, but uhh, Max said dust2 is more recognizable and after looking at the layout below, I think it'd also be easier to map out.
Original: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/csw ... 0521010415
I'll be working using a grid system. 1 box (20x20 pixels) will be 4x4 tiles.

de_dust1 layout for show:
For scale.
The terrrorist spawn area is unfinished.

Probably my first attempt to not be lazy and make a non-symmetrical map, and following Max's advice I'll try to make it not look rectangular.
I'll do this slowly instead of rush it in a few days.

I was talking about your maps, in case of dd2 just make it as close to original as possible even if it has to be rectangular somewhere. Thats what i think. And thanks for starting that work

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul 2015, 17:45 
Geneshift Creator

By rectangular didn't you mean how the overall layout of many maps is just a giant rectangle? If you make a remake of dust2 then it can't possibly be an overall rectangle because that's just not the layout of dust2.

Unless you were talking about low-level blockiness on a block by block basis, in which case absolutely that should be minimised as much as possible. This is why my maps use lots of crates and boxes, because these things are SUPPOSE to be boxy (box is in the name of boxy afterall). But trying to remake furniture with 1x1m tiles just doesn't look good.

Anyway overall dust2 is mostly rectangular anyway. Just a few things like the curved corner in the tunnel can be made into a square corner, no big deal there.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan 2016, 16:07 
Walking Encyclopedia

After a lot of months, I finally decided to work on this again. Why did I stop you ask? Because fuck grids. I'm gonna do it by approximation by direct comparison with CS 1.6.
Image What's done so far - layout is done, just some boxes missing and finding a way to compensate for the tunnel not working in MF's format.
Image For scale
I also tried to follow what boxes are jumpable and what aren't - with a bit of license taken for those affected by ceilings. Those that aren't I've made them non-teleport as well to prevent chemicals being placed on them.

I must say, ever since Stealth campaigns became a thing, mapmaking has gotten a lot more fun and worth it. When this is done nicely enough, Stealth for this map would be an emulation of CS itself, and as a terrorist you'd only have all the tier-1 weapons(except Deagle for pistol) vs the CT's tier-2 guns(except USP for pistol).

(edit: New map screenshot)

Last edited by STM1993 on Tue 12 Jan 2016, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan 2016, 18:07 
Geneshift Creator

Awesome man. I've always thought that CS maps are the perfect community map. Everyone recognises them and it's great fun to see how they play in the MF engine. Also they tend to be well balanced in gameplay by default, so they're almost guaranteed to play well :)

I could see a cool Stealth campaign coming out of this as well, 2 zombie bombs on the A and B spawns and a few checkpoints in between. Would be groovy!

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan 2016, 19:01 
Crimea is ours!

great work so far STM

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan 2016, 20:41 
Walking Encyclopedia

Okay, I've finished the map layout, ready for quick tests.
Attachment:
File comment: Beta - Layout only
DeDust2.sub [106.47 KiB]
Downloaded 50 times

Feel free to play around with the layout. If you notice any missing boxes or something doesn't feel right, let me know.

Things to note:
* This is based on Counter Strike 1.6.
* There's only Battle mode for now, and don't select Mercs.
* Boxes that you're not supposed to be able to jump onto should have non-teleport property, which also means you can't place a chemical on it.
* All the walls don't have collision for now, as the purpose is to see any part of the wall looks low enough to jump onto.
* Due to Subvein not supporting ceilings or bridges, the CT spawn is notably changed to work quite similarly to the Sci spawn in Supply; there's the standard tunnel, while the overhead area is now meant to be crossed by jumping over(don't need the box, that's for cover, not sure how effective though), and a stair to ensure that CT has 3 ways to get out of their spawn to prevent spawnkilling. I'm also aware there's a jump in T spawn middle route that is not supposed to be possible due to ceilings, but I think its fine for the sake of this game's format.
* Due to the size of the map (which I want to keep as authentic as possible), vehicles may be disabled in future.

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - WIP (Playable Beta)
PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:56 
Walking Encyclopedia

Image Full map
Image After-lighting (Pre-Lighting for comparison)
I avoided making the lighting too yellow.
Attachment:
File comment: Beta #2 - Basic playable (no Outbreak/Stealth)
DeDust2.sub [113.54 KiB]
Downloaded 47 times

Changelog:
* Vehicles have been disabled on this map; it just won't work without me breaking the authenticity of the map plus some bugs including this or teleporting vehicles.
* Merc spawns are properly added. Cash fountain location changed.
* Added Extraction & Conquest. No guarantee CTF is balanced at all since its hastily done, while Conquest is entirely random.
* Added lighting, changed tile lighting property in Tunnel, changed the north wall into a rock wall, made one of the buildings look awesome.
* Added a few missing boxes, plus an attempt to make the 'X's in bomb sites A & B with decals. Fixed smoothing issues.
* Added proper collision, so no more going off-map and minimap looks more proper. Once map is finished I'll optimize map size too. You can still toss grenades over buildings btw.
* All boxes are now jumpable in one way or another - either you need to phantom jump or you can get there from another location. No non-teleport tiles. I did this because it'd work better in Subvein's format overall.

Having a 3D model I could use to make a dome/mushroom would be nice, the traffic cone just doesn't work.
Having some difficulty deciding how to make the map look good considering the indoor areas atm.

EDIT:
Preview of the current decoration I've done so far, not included for the map download in this post.

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - WIP (Beta #3)
PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2016, 12:52 
Walking Encyclopedia

Didn't have much motivation since I still have no idea how to make the map look good, so progress has been very slow.
Didn't do much decoration, but notably made the indoor area look more indoory using translucent decals. Ensured that all jumps can be done without knowing phantom jumping(but would require knowing very specific locations to jump from). I also re-balanced Extraction zones as best as I could.

I added Outbreak & Stealth, but they are merely placeholders. For stealth though, you can see a brief concept based on the weapons in each difficulty and the various jumps spots via items, and you get to see how the enemy guard behaves - I couldn't make the guard always prioritize player by 0.6, since for some reason the 360 property makes him always target NPCs first until you aggro the guard by directly shooting him.

(Note: This map file requires the playtest beta)
Attachment:
File comment: Beta #3 - Just a small mostly graphical update.
DeDust2.sub [85.85 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

EDIT:
31/03/2016 - Beta #4 backup upload.
http://i.prntscr.com/cfab1c9ba150487c8e ... cdf695.png
Image Ts vs CTs. Player not shown, but his model is white like the Arctic Avengers terrorist model.
02/04/2016: Recently added a very basic version of Stealth.
Attachment:
File comment: Beta #4.1 - Backup
Basic Stealth stage 1 added.

DeDust2.sub [111.72 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times

Last edited by STM1993 on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 07:49, edited 15 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - WIP (Beta #3)
PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb 2016, 16:26 
Geneshift Creator

Nice one man, looking more and more dusty every update! I think the domes are looking pretty damn good now too. I wouldn't worry too much about graphics though, gameplay is more important on commuity maps I think, especially now that we've got Stealth. I'd love to see a community map on a similar scale to the official maps and the sorts of puzzles you could create. You could do something great with Stealth here, as there are plenty of areas to position checkpoints and make like 7 or 8 stages. The fact that it's based on dust2 will go a really long way for players as well and make this a great alternative to the official Stealth maps :D

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - WIP (Beta #4.1)
PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 06:00 
Mercenary

are those player models public?

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - WIP (Beta #5)
PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 00:39 
Walking Encyclopedia

Due to better understanding of how vision works (which also had some major changes made), I realized the current height values will create a lot problems - Terror side is often on high ground and thus they can see through non-full-collision walls (infinite vertical downward vision range), while CT side can only see Terror clearly if they are within 6m vertically or have direct line of sight - this make slopes in particular very troublesome.

As a result I had to redo the height of almost all parts of the map - especially the slopes. In general, slopes & stairs twice as gradually and shrunk the height by 4.50m (3m for max height; lowest height is 1.50m)
http://image.prntscr.com/image/22a010e9 ... 5f40b3.png
http://image.prntscr.com/image/2705ba7f ... ec58b2.png
I've also added a small tunnel that leads out of the left of CT spawn - this is help offset the possibility of spawncamping the CT side.

Incidentally, due to the height changes, I toyed around with the idea of allowing cars to be purchased for the map. It'd still be removed in the final version, but for now vehicles are allowed, and you'd notice that at least the Buggy & Extraction Truck should be able to drive around quite smoothly.

I'd have to wait for Bence to add a new collision type where you can throw grenades over but NOT be able to see through.

For now, I have to close off the secret pathway on the left and live with the remaining walls. Shame, I wanted that secret pathway to be available for Stealth. Too bad there aren't textbox collisions for non-stealth mode.
Attachment:
File comment: Beta #5 - Major height changes
DeDust2.sub [118.38 KiB]
Downloaded 38 times

For now, this is the latest I'm posting to serve as a backup.

EDIT:
http://i.imgur.com/B2VlYGX.png
* Fixed height in the lowest part of the map near the center to prevent jumping on the right box without some height.
* Some boxes back to non-tp due to chemicals, others have been made outright collision.
* Notably, the tunnel just ahead of T(sci) spawn is now considered an actual tunnel by sneakily making the boxes too high to shoot over.
* Some sneaky changes to the right side of CT(Rebel) base & gave them some advantages to compensate for the easily spawncamped area.
* Found a bug with beveled edges & collision property.
Waiting for new collision type and new conquest control point placement.
Attachment:
File comment: Beta #5.3
DeDust2.sub [145.57 KiB]
Downloaded 32 times

Next on the list:
1) Finish up the non-playable map area
2) Finish Outbreak zone placement.
3) Release first full version.
4) optional - Add Stealth game mode & any further decorations.

Post subject: Re: [STM] DeDust2 - v1.00
PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2016, 04:15 
Walking Encyclopedia

First version of de_dust2 is out! Download in first post!
Stealth will come another time, for now its authentic non-vehicle PvP combat!

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2017, 11:32 
Walking Encyclopedia

Bence, don't forget to update this community map for v1.101 too!
Download in first post.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun 2017, 02:47 
Geneshift Creator

Done!

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun 2017, 08:27 
the one and only

Map looks really good. I wanna play it sometime.

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]